Fancy words used for "Kinds of Grape"--"Varietals"

"Varietals"- yeah I know, I'm Spanish and I have a hard time saying "Vari-tals" or I feel stupid putting it into a sentence. "So..If I may ask.. what varietal is this white wine?"
Better yet, I should keep quiet and let someone else ask this question. Or just know when some pompous person tells me , "Oh do you know this was a PEE-no-Gree", with my hearing in a crowded room, I'd probably direct them to the bathroom.

I rather drink it than say it but here goes and I even learned a thing or do , two that is

Popular Whites                       Pronunciation

Albarino                                    AL-bar-EEN-nyo

Pinot Grigio                               Pee-no GREE-jhee oh
Pinot Gris                                  Pee-no GREE
Sauvignon Blanc                      SO-vin-yawn- Blonk

A popular German white
Gewurztraminer                       Geh-VIRTs-trah-MEE-ner      (yeah right, I'll leave that one to Heidi Klum)

Viognier                                   VEE-oh-NAY

Chardonnay                   Dont tell me how to say that!


REDS

Pinot Noir                                 PEE-No-N'WAHR
Merlot                                        mare-LOW  (hee)
Sangiovese                         Sahn-jhee-oh-VAY-see (I need practice) more San- you know that bottle

Malbec                                    Mahl-BEK
Syrah/Shiraz                        Sih-rah is the way those Cute Aussies say it
                                              Sih-RahZ Is the way I've been drinking it

Zinfindel                                 ZIN-FUN-dell
Cabernet Sauvignon            Cabernet Sauvignon drinker s just say CAB(not call a cab)
                                               CA-Ber-NAY So-VIN-YAWN


that was fun, let's have some more...

 

Comments

Popular Posts