Power Foods We should be Putting into Our Diets

Chia Seeds/Plants
(salvia hispanica)
Yesterday came across a great article in Fitbe.com about some power foods we should be adding to our diets, considering I'm at the age that I "magically" gain weight (too many carbs ) too much in not enough power out...I'm determined again about losing that extra 10lbs off my frame. Especially after the family portraits this Easter where I didnt even recognize myself.

One great listing was the CHIA seeds

http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/2010/08/realife.html

Now there's alot of debate and "studies" that are conflicting whether it helps you lose weight, but

I love chia seeds!
They have a lot more going for them than any purported weight-loss benefits.

I sprinkle them on my morning yogurt with raspberries
 everyday & love them mixed in water with a little lemon juice–chai fresca!

They are gelatinist and help me in the let say morning evacuation department. I bought a third of a pound for $5.44 USD. These seeds are expensive, but the Ancient Mayans used these seeds for a big part of their worship, diet and Chia Seeds are still highly prized in Mexico as an invaluable supplement.  


I am going to experiement in my garden and try to grow Chia plants. Today I set aoubt 5 pots with Chia seeds. Here 's hoping for a good harvest.
**
NSRI has conducted extensive analyses on this food product and found it to be a versatile, user-friendly, exceptional and unique low-calorie source of omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fiber, antioxidants, complete protein, iron, calcium, and magnesium. Below is a summary of its nutritional content:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 15g
*Percent Daily Values based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Amount Per Serving ( % Daily Values )* ( % Daily Values )*
Calories 50; Calories from fat 44 2.5
Total Fat 4.9 g 8
Saturated Fat <0.5g 1
Trans Fat 0g
Omega-3 (Alpha-Linolenic Acid) 3g
Omega-6 (Linoleic Acid) 1g
Cholesterol 0g 0
Sodium <0.5mg 0
Carbohydrates Available 0.1g 0
Dietary Fiber 6.1g 24
Sugars 0g
Protein 3.1g 6
Calcium 107mg 11
Iron 2.4mg 13
Zinc 0.5 mg 3
Potassium 105mg 3
Magnesium 59mg 15
Phosphorus 160mg 16

Antioxidants
1047 micromoles TE ORAC units (antioxidants include myrecetin, quercetin, kaemferol, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid)


Comments

Popular Posts