COD Stew . or Bacalao Dominican Style-Warm Meals for cold Days

Now is the time of the year here, that despite all its glorious sunshine, Florida turns alittle cooler. The temperature dip a bit, and having lived here for the past 20+ years I have developed a southern type tolerance and cooler weather that dips below 50 makes me cold. So now in tribute the the best cook I Know my Mother. Gerry. I present. Domincan Bacalao stew.
.
I bought salted cod from Save A Lot. A local supermarket that is considered a bargain supermarket and carries a lot of Hispanic products.  I live in a low density Hispanic area and the nearest Spanish or Italian grocery is pretty far. The Brand is a good one "Cristobal" Canadian,  www.cfeboston.com, I bought 2 1lb.  The cod is salted and virtually inedible unless you soak it for at least 24 hours before, I started soaking it 12 hours prior changing the water every 4 hours or so.Ingredients
cooking time 30 minutes- with 20 min prep
(NO salt let the remainder of the salt in the soaked cod flavor your sauce)
generous layer of olive olive in a good size pan
1-whole large red onion
1-powered garlic power or minced garlic fresh
half green bell pepper
2-tablespoons of manzanilla olives that have pimentos and capers (very important)
2 tablespoons of apple vinegar
cook til wilted add chopped up drained cod stir up all the juices to the cod
cook a bit
add 1 large can or your own tomato sauce to simmer

in another pan cook your potatoes until almost done. stop pull out cool down cut like above

white potatoes
1-white rice to serve with delicious stew

after the cod has been stewing for about 20 mins taste to see if it needs anything.  if youre  a black pepper person or chili pepper person add now

the last 10 mins add your potatoes no longer as you dont want mushy potatoes





delicious ..sabroso.. yum yum  takes me back to my childhood in frigid cold NY. I also bake some root veggies like acorn squash, sweet potatoes to as on the side  buen provecho

Comments

Popular Posts